Articles About Measures for Evaluating Decision Aids
You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the PDF versions of the articles below.
- Barratt A, Trevena L, Davey H, McCaffery K. Use of decision aids to support informed choices about screening. British Medical Journal 329.7464 (Aug 2004): 507-10. (PDF)
- O’Connor AM, Fiset V, DeGrasse C, Graham I, Evans W, Stacey D, Laupacis A and Tugwell P. Decision aids for patients considering options affecting cancer outcomes: Evidence of efficacy and policy implications. Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monograph 25 (1999): 67-80. Discusses evaluation issues and mentions several of the tools in use. (PDF)
- O’Connor A, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Sawka C, Pinfold S, To T and Harrison D. Physicians’ opinions about decision aids for patients considering systemic adjuvant therapy for axillary-node negative breast cancer. Patient Education & Counseling 30 (1997): 143-53. Describes criteria for evaluation that would convince a random sample of oncologists that a decision aid was ‘effective.' (PDF)
- See essays written by several leading authors on defining "a good decision" in Effective Clinical Practice 2.4 (Jul/Aug 1999).
- Dowding D, Swanson V, Bland R, Thomson P, Mair C, Morrison A, Taylor A, Beechey C, Simpson R and Niven K. The development and preliminary evaluation of a decision aid based on decision analysis for two treatment conditions: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Hypertension. Patient Education and Counseling 52 (2004): 209-15. (PDF)
- Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Gandek B, Rogers WH, and Ware JE. Characteristics of physicians with participatory decision-making styles. Annals of Internal Medicine 124.5 (1996): 497-504.
- Llewellyn-Thomas HA, Paterson JM, Carter JA, Basinski A, Myers MG, Hardacre GD, Dunn EV, D'Agostino RB and Naylor CD. Primary prevention drug therapy: can it meet patients' requirements for reduced risk? Medical Decision Making 22.4 (2002): 326-39. (PDF)
- Hudak PL, Hogg-Johnson S, Bombardier C, McKeever PD, Wright JG. Testing a new theory of patient satisfaction with treatment outcome. Medical Care 42.8 (2004): 726-39. (PDF)
- Hudak PL, McKeever PD, Wright JG. Understanding the meaning of satisfaction with treatment outcome. Medical Care 42.8 (2004): 718-25. (PDF)