Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center History
- 1797: Dartmouth Medical School (DMS) was founded by Dr. Nathan Smith. DMS is the fourth-oldest medical school in the country. In 2012 Dartmouth renamed the school The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth in honor of Audrey and Theodor Geisel.
- 1893: Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital (MHMH) was built by Hiram Hitchcock in memory of his wife, Mary Maynard Hitchcock.
- 1927: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic (DHC) was established by a group of five physicians.
- 1938: The Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, Vermont, opened.
- 1980s: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center began planning for a new facility. Construction of the $228 million project began in 1988 on a 225-acre wooded site in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
- 1991: On October 5, 1991, the new Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center facility opened for business. One of the few completely new medical centers in the country, the complex is designed for patient convenience and comfort with an ambiance of warmth and openness. Behind the scenes, however, all of the systems necessary—computer, technical equipment, communications and interactive video—handle the demands of modern medicine.
- 2004: In August 2004, the new Doctors Office Building opened (now named the Faulkner Building), increasing the campus size by 40 percent.