Fractured Jaw Diet
These provide enough calories and protein to promote tissue repair without the need for chewing.
- Instead of three meals each day, try to eat six to eight meals a day.
- Avoid foods that are very hot or very cold. Your teeth can be extra-sensitive to the temperature extremes.
- Avoid large amounts of water, diet sodas, coffee, and tea, as these drinks have few calories. Add seasonings, spices, and extracts to juices and milk to increase flavor.
- Jar foods can be thinned with broth or milk.
- To get enough vitamins and minerals, try to eat foods such as fruits, vegetables, meats, cereals, and milk. Be sure to include foods from all the food groups each day. It is easy to get bored with milkshakes for every meal.
If you are losing weight, increase calories by adding the following ingredients to meats or vegetables:
- Sour cream
- Melted butter or margarine
- Salad dressing
- Wheat germ
- Melted cheese
- Plain or vanilla yogurt