Fiber Residue-Restricted Diet
This diet contains less than 20 grams of dietary fiber per day and is geared towards patients with active diverticulitis, intermittent partial bowel obstruction, ulcerative colitis, and infectious enterocolitis, and those who are receiving radiation therapy to the abdomen.
Foods to avoid
- Raw, high fiber fruits and vegetables; choose ripe, canned, or well-cooked fruits
- Whole grains, seeds and nuts, and skins
- Strongly flavored vegetables, such as onions or cabbage
- Fried, highly seasoned or fatty foods (they can cause stomach upset)
- Less-tender meats
- For a low-residue diet, follow the low-fiber guidelines, but restrict milk to two cups per day.